January 7, 2009

Water, Calories, & a Cyst

I only made one resolution this year and it's kicking my butt. It's simple... drink more water. As simple as it sounds, it's a true challenge for me. I'm the type of person who only drinks when I'm thirsty. I can go all day and not take one sip... trust me, I find myself doing this on the weekends a lot. It's pitiful. And I don't know why, but I really don't like water. I know... it has no taste, but it still makes me want to gag when I down a cup. So with that being said, I must say that I'm sticking with it. I have to MAKE myself do it, but I'm doing it. Of course, I'm up all hours of the night making bathroom trips, but that's okay :) Have I mentioned that I feel much better now that I'm hydrating my body?!!? Funny how that works.

So in the midst of drinking more water, I came across an article in a magazine stating that women should consume a minimum of 2000 calories/day. Less than 2000 can be unhealthy and of course over-doing isn't good either. I've never counted calories, but I thought what the heck... why not!? So tonight I started an online calorie counter/food journal. I recorded every little thing that entered my mouth. From the amount of cream I put in my morning cup of coffee to the number of banana peppers I put on my sandwich at lunch. From the two mid-day Hershey's kisses to the rib-eye I split with my husband tonight. I knew that I had to be going way over the minimum calorie intake, but I was curious to know what I averaged. Get this: it's nearly 10pm and I still have over 600 calories to consume to reach 2000! Now I'm no nutritionist, but are you kidding me? I'm going to continue to count for a week just to get an average. Maybe today wasn't a good day to test. I don't know why because I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I'll keep you updated. And please don't start harassing me by saying that I don't need to lose weight. I'm not trying to... I just want to make that clear. There's a difference in eating healthy and dieting. If I'm not consuming enough calories, I need to know... same goes for if I'm consuming too many.

I'm having a ganglion cyst removed tomorrow. It's on the top of my right wrist. I've read that most of the time, this type of cyst causes no discomfort. Unfortunately, I'm one of the few who feels pain and discomfort. Hopefully all will go well.

Did I mention that I can't eat after midnight tonight and my surgery isn't until 1pm?!? Great.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your surgery goes well, Kacy. About the calories...I really think that it depends on the person. I don't think that 2000 is the "perfect" number for all women. Keep counting and get your average. I think it is more about what you are eating, etc. You know? Like, making the calories you do eat meaningful. I struggle with this because I would love all of my calories to just be Hershey's Kisses calories. I wonder how many Hershey's Kisses I could eat for 2000 calories?? :)

Kristi said...

Water- just keep drinking it... you'll acquire a taste for it eventually

Calories- I can knock out 2000 in nothing flat... try this:

Breakfast: 1 cup of Kellogg's Low-Fat Granola Cereal w/ 1/2 cup of 2% milk 442 calories

Lunch: Arby's Market Fresh Turkey & Swiss sandwich, small curly fries, & share an apple turnover with a friend 1130 calories

Dinner: Lean Cuisine or something like that... you've got less than 400 calories left... should be a cinch!

Cyst: glad you finally got that deal resolved :)